Pay and Service Periods
Academic employees are appointed on either a fiscal-year or academic-year basis.
- Fiscal-year appointees work throughout the entire twelve-month calendar year.
- Academic-year appointees render service from the beginning of the fall term through the end of the spring term.
There are three standard pay periods for academic employees that are assigned based upon the basis of the appointment.
- 11/12 (fiscal-year): Pay is issued in twelve monthly installments. The pay and service periods are identical. This pay schedule is used for all fiscal-year appointees.
- 09/12 (academic-year): Pay is issued in twelve monthly installments for work performed for the full academic term. Pay for each quarter is spread over a four-month period, with each monthly payment based on 1/12th of the annual salary. This pay schedule is used for individuals who are appointed for all three quarters during the academic year.
- 09/09 (academic-year): Pay is issued in monthly installments for work performed during one or two quarters of the academic term. Pay for each quarter is spread over a three-month period, with each monthly payment based on 1/9th of the annual salary. This pay schedule is used for individuals who are hired for only one or two quarters during the academic year. In addition, this pay schedule is used to compensate student academic student employees.
The chart below indicates the actual pay and service period dates for academic-year appointees working in 2013 - 2014. There is no chart for fiscal-year appointees, as their pay and service periods match.
|Quarter||Service Period||09/12 Pay Period||09/09 Pay Period|
|Fall Quarter 2013||09/23/13 - 12/14/13||07/01/13 - 10/31/13||10/01/13 - 12/31/13|
|Winter Quarter 2014||01/02/14 - 03/22/14||11/01/13 - 02/28/14||01/01/14 - 03/31/14|
|Spring Quarter 2014||03/27/14 - 06/13/14||03/01/14 - 06/30/14||04/01/14 - 06/30/14|
In all cases, pay is issued on a monthly basis according the official UCSD Payroll calendar.
Because the pay and service periods do not match for academic-year appointees, any mid-quarter or mid-year change in status may result in a payback or overpayment situation. This is especially applicable to new hires, leaves of absence, and separations. Please contact the Academic Compensation office for more information.