Faculty Recruitment Allowance Program (FRAP)
Faculty recruitment allowances assist newly recruited full-time Academic Senate Ladder-Rank Faculty in meeting individual housing needs. At UC San Diego the FRA provides a cash payment to assist with the down payment requirement for purchasing a home.
- General Campus Faculty who are eligible to participate in the Faculty Recruitment Allowance Program will be notified in their offer letter at the time of recruitment.
- Eligibility period:
- According to the governing policy, faculty recruitment allowances are to be disbursed within the first two (2) years of the appointment start date
- An initial disbursement made after the initial eligibility period requires the approval of the Executive Vice Chancellor Academic Affairs
- The program is governed by campus policies and Academic Personnel Manual (APM) Policy 190.
UC San Diego Eligibility Requirements
- UC San Diego Academic Affairs' policy is more restrictive than the Office of President Policy in that faculty members who have been offered a faculty recruitment allowance may only request payment once they are in escrow for the purchase of a home.
- Participation in the program will be indicated in the faculty member's offer letter at the time of recruitment.
FRA Payment Procedures
- When requesting payment, faculty need to provide their department with a copy of the first page of their escrow agreement
- The department will contact the Academic Personnel Office to request authorization for payment
- The Academic Personnel Office will provide the faculty member's department with directions for payment
- Payments must be made via the Personnel Payroll System (PPS)
Faculty recruitment allowances are considered taxable income. Payments made via payroll will be taxed at the applicable rates indicated by the appointee's W-4 form if the payment is made on the monthly pay cycle (1st of the month). If the payment is not made on the monthly pay cycle, taxes will be withheld at 25% federal and 6.6% state rates. Regardless of the timing of the payment, FICA taxes will be deducted at the standard rate of 7.65%. Faculty may contact Paul Rodriguez in the campus Payoll Office for questions about withholdings (email@example.com or 858-534-3241).
Faculty recruitment allowances are not considered covered compensation for purposes of the University's retirement or employee benefit plans.