Dual/Additional Employment Process
Departments wishing to hire a full-time employee from another department must first complete a dual employment agreement with campus HR.
Work over 100% time by an employee who holds a full-time position is designated as dual employment if the time is worked in another department or in a different class in the same department. Upon request of the department head, requests of this nature may be approved by the Employment and Staffing Services Division of the Human Resources Department when:
- An employee is to teach a University Extension course with teaching and related duties performed outside the employee's regular schedule; or
- It is impractical to employ another person; the additional appointment will not exceed a total of 12 calendar months; the time worked on the additional appointment will not be detrimental to the employee's health nor affect performance adversely; and the employee's full-time department head agrees to the arrangement. If dual employment is necessary for a period in excess of 12 months, the Employment and Staffing Services Unit is authorized to approve individual exceptions.
- If an employee works full-time in a class that is exempt from premium overtime and works overtime in a class that is subject to premium overtime, the overtime is paid at the straight-time rate providing that the overtime does not exceed 20% of the total hours worked in a workweek. If an employee works full-time in a class that is non-exempt from premium overtime, the overtime is subject to payment at the premium rate, regardless of the exemption status of the position filled in a dual employment status.
Steps for Requesting Dual/Additional Employment:
- Submit a short term exception requisition to records.
- Complete the e-form (Req # to include is generated by STE req above)
- E-form below must be filled out completely and must including all required signatures before faxing to Central HR.
- Forward or fax* to Mike Sauvageau (email@example.com) to request a Dual Appointment (over 100% appointment) or Additional Appointment (up to 100% appointment) agreement.
*HR Fax number: 858-822-0547
- Mike Sauvageau will then e-mail a final approval to the HR contacts for the Requesting and Home Departments.
Please note the following:
- If the person holds an exempt title the dual appointment title must be non-exempt to qualify for a dual appointment.
- The combined appointment percent may not exceed 120% for dual appointments
- Duration may not exceed 1 year for dual appointments. Additional appointments may exceed 1 year if the position was openly recruited.
- If the employee is/will be working at the UC San Diego Medical Center or in an academic position, you must first receive approval from the Medical Center Human Resources or Academic Personnel as not all requests are supported
- This form is not necessary for University Extension instructors or Recreation instructors, Contact the Records Department for instructions for these types of appointments.
- Dual/Additional Appointments may cross bargaining units for Campus only. Med Center employees cannot cross bargaining units.
- PPS Procedures
- TERMS OF ADDITIONAL APPOINTMENT
PPS procedure to set up the employee: Add a new appointment block, using action code 13, and if the employee will be working more than 40 hours a week, the OTS DOS code should be used, which indicates that the hours are to be paid at premium time. (The REG DOS code is used for regular pay.)
- TERMS OF DUAL APPOINTMENT
PPS procedure to set up the employee: Add a new appointment block, and if the employee will be working more than 40 hours a week, the OTS DOS code should be used, which indicates that the hours are to be paid at premium time. (The REG DOS code is used for regular pay.)
- TERMS OF ADDITIONAL APPOINTMENT